Search This Blog

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Green Olive Pesto


















To be honest, this is not the prettiest looking or the most appetizingly named recipe, but, yum, it sure is tasty. When I came across this, I was intrigued. I don't know why I felt compelled to give it a try. The directions were terrible and I can not stand olives, yet I found myself in the kitchen making it anyway. Weird, I know, but I am glad that I gave it a shot. After some tweaking here and there, it turned out to be a flavorful pesto, that even my toddler gobbles up.

Green Olive Pesto
Ingredients:
  • 1lb of spaghetti*
  • 5 peeled and sliced garlic cloves
  • 1/2 cup pitted green olives
  • 1/2 cup fresh parsley
  • 1/2 cup fresh basil
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • Up to 1 cup of black olives, pitted and coarsely chopped I usually buy the ones sliced in a can and chop them up to save on time and typically only use about 1/4 cup.
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
*If using a different type of noodle, you should double the recipe to ensure that they will be well coated. I learned this the hard way :-P

Directions:
  • Cook spaghetti al dente according to package directions. Reserve 1/2 cup of cooking water and then drain and keep to the side.
  • Meanwhile, in a food processor (I use a magic bullet, don't judge me) combine garlic, green olives, parsley, and basil, while adding the olive oil, little by little, until it is well-combined. Poof! There you have it, green olive pesto. Simple, no?
  • In the pot used to boil the spaghetti, simmer the pesto for about a minute. 
  • To the pesto, add spaghetti, reserved 1/2 cup of water, black olives, and salt, stir.
  • Continue stirring until water is cooked off.
  • Serve and enjoy! Bruschetta or garlic bread accompanies this nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment